Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hello from Quito

Hey Everyone! I´m here in Quito, Ecuador. So far everything has been good. I had set up Spanish classes with a place called Yanapuma (www.yanapumaspanish.org). I picked it because it is a non-profit organization and the proceeds go to their foundation. I figured it was run by some good people, and I was right. They arranged to pick me up at the airport and take me to the host family I will be staying with.

The host family is very nice. It is with a lady named Lorena that has 2 high school aged kids and a two year old nephew named Issac. He´s so cute. The first thing he did when I got here was dump all his toys on my bed. Today, Lorena asked if I was his girlfriend and he said yes. Sorry, Andy. I have an Ecuadorian 2 year old boyfriend here. I walked with Issac to school this morning on the way to my school, and he cried when I didn´t go inside the school with him. Awww. Meals are also included with the home stay also. Lorena is an excellent cook. The home stay, with meals, and laundry costs $15 per day.So far Spanish classes are going well. The school is about a 20 minute walk from my host family, in the center of town. The first day my teacher was late because his mother was in the hospital. Today was the second day. And all I can say is, I need a lot of work. Its a little frustrating, but I´m sure will get easier with practice. The classes cost about $7 per hour for a one on one class. We´ve been going over basics which I definitely needed. Its crazy how much Spanish you forget from high school.

I´ve walked around a bit in the center, the Mariscal, and a bit in Old Quito. I met another student that took me around. He is from Texas and has been here for a few months. I´ve taken a few pictures, but not many yet. Here is a few

Mariscal Sucre


Old Quito

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl,
    I'm so happy to are embarking on this adventure. I'm looking forward to following along! Have a wonderful time!
    Cheers,
    -Fu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cheryl. Can't wait to read more of your adventures through SA! Isaac is adorable!
    Vet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, make sure you remember "Ayudame nessesito bano!!!!"

    ReplyDelete