Monday, July 27, 2009

Lake Titicaca (Bolivian Side)

13-14 July

From Puno, we took the bus to Copacabana in Bolivia. It stops at the border where they charge Americans $135 cash for a visa. Plus you have to give them a photocopy of your passport, yellow fever vaccination card, and a passport photo. They just started it a few years ago. My lonely planet guide is definitely out of date. Well I was well prepared and had everything in order. I had no problems.

Copacabana was a really nice little town. There was a really nice church. People from all over bring their car there to get it blessed. They also had this cave like room where people lit candles. It was a little creepy in there.


From Copacabana, we took a day trip out to an island called Isla del Sol. The boat ride was pretty long, I think about 3 hours, but it was really bumpy. I don´t usually get seasick but I didn´t feel to great once we got there. Kim wasn´t feeling well either. W e arrived on the north side of the island, where you can hike for 3 hours to the south of the island. Well we weren´t feeling to great, so we just hung out in the north side, and just took the boat to the south side.

There was a great beach there. Its really weird to be on a beach with full winter gear on. But there were some crazy French girls in bikinis. I guess the French just like to take their clothes off. There were also pigs roaming around too. Ever seen a pig on a beach??
The south side of the island wasn´t that impressive, unless you wanted to do some hiking. There were some pretty tall hills to tackle. We just hung out on the shore. That night in Copacabana, when we were just glad to have electricity and running water again, (unlike Amantani), there was a blackout! It lasted all night and into the morning. And since the showers were electric heated, no showers. I guess I could´ve taken a cold shower, but it was already cold there!! Oh, and those french girls... Kim was in the internet cafe during the blackout. Those girls left without paying. Stupid. Its not like the internet costs a lot here, maybe 50cents an hour? The people here don´t make a lot of money, and they gip the guy?? Come on. Some travellers are punks.

No comments:

Post a Comment