Monday, June 22, 2009

Back in Lima

After Huaraz, I went back to Lima for a day, last Friday. I couldn´t really do much since I had some kind of allergic reaction to some insect bites on my feet. My ankles had swollen up and it was painful to walk. I looked up these words in my handy travel sized spanish-english dictionary: ankle-tobillo, isect bite-mordisco de insecto, swelling-hinchazon. I went over to the pharmacy and explained my problem with my new vocabulary and showed them my feet. So the pharmacist gave me some medicine and some cream. You don´t need a prescription! That´s how it should be.

Anyway, I did manage earlier in the day to do one more touristy thing in Lima. I went to Huaca Pucllana. It was a place that had ruins of an adobe pyramid of the Lima culture from 400AD. The tour was pretty interesting. Small adobe bricks were made of mud and seashells by hand and were placed in vertical rows that look like book shelves to make the walls and platforms. The walls had trapezoidal panels. Its amazing that the stuctures are still standing from 400AD.


Figurines showing the process of making adobe bricks:

There were a series of plazas and enclosures probably used for public meetings. There were also areas were religious ceremonies took place. A religious ceremony with an offering of a pot:


While I was there, there happened to be an archeologist discovering another human skull, most likely used for human sacrifice. They always used women for human sacrifice, but that is because the worshipped the sun and moon gods, thought to be female.


They also had some flora and fauna there that were typical of the Lima people. They had some hairless dogs there that are only found in Lima. There were also other typical Peruvian animals: ginea pig, ducks, llamas, alpacas, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment