
Unfortunately, 12 years ago, with GPS technology, they learned the line was not in the correct place. So we went a little further down the road to a museum called Museo de Sitio Intiño. Here is the place where the GPS calculated ecuator line is.
At the museum they demonstrated a few experiments. The first experiment, based on Corioli´s Law, was to demonstrate how winds and currents tend to flow counter clockwise north of the equator, and clockwise south of the equator. First the sink was placed on the equator, the guide pulled the plug, and the water went straight down. Then the sink was placed south of the equator and then north of the equator. And the result? The sink drained counter clockwise in the north and clockwise in the south. It was convincing I must say. But I have read that this experiment is a big hoax and that being that close to the equator would not really demonstrate Corioli´s law. It was fun to watch even if it is not true.

The tour guide also demonstrated that balancing an egg at the equator is easier than anywhere else in the world. You could do it in other parts of the world but it is supposedly easier at the equator. I tried and couldn´t do it though.

There were also exhibits there about Ecuadorian tribes. Here is a real shrunken head they had on display that was 100 years old, and a pretty graphic explanation of the process.

And here I am on the real equator, in the northern and southern hemisphere at the same time.
Cheryl!!! That looks soo cool! I am so happy you are enjoying, learning and making friends. Have fun with the family!(Try to see if you can get some good recipes to bring back and teach us!) Buena Suerte con tu estudias!
ReplyDelete